Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts

How many of you have flown in an airplane recently? Anyone realized that when the attendants get up and review the safety features, no one really pays attention? I admit, this includes me. I paid REAL close attention the first time I flew.. a little bit the second, but after that, I paid more attention to the guys on the runway putting up luggage... (Hey, someone has to watch them!)

But I was thinking the other day... I wonder if these attendants get angry that people aren't listening to them? I think I would. What if something happens on the plane... then I'm sure everyone is scrambling to find that attendant to ask them what to do. If I were the attendant, I think I'd have to kindly remind everyone that we went over this before takeoff. .. you should've paid attention. Haha, no, of course I would help them.

But what about when there isn't a second chance to help someone? As Christians, it is our job to warn everyone about what to do to prepare themselves for the "crash landing". But there are LOTS of people that just aren't listening. They have better things to do. But I'm willing to bet when those trumpets sound, they'll be scrambling to find a Christian and ask them what to do again. But it will be too late. Time will be up.

Actually, maybe this is our second chance. Genesis tells the story of Noah... who followed God's instruction to build a boat for a flood that was coming. For 120 years Noah kept at it. I'm sure he listened to lots of people tell him he was crazy. He watched plenty of people go about their business as if nothing was going to happen. After all, it wasn't even raining, so what was the big deal? The big deal was that the rain DID come... and those people Noah tried to help? They were no more. The Bible warns us....

"In the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving their children to be married, until the day Noah entered the boat. They knew nothing about what was happening until the flood came and destroyed them. It will be same when the Son of Man comes" - Matthew 24:38-39


This is our second chance. Have you listened to the flight attendants? Are you equipped with the knowledge to exit the plane safely?

No comments:

Post a Comment