Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Way Or The Highway

"What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?" James 4:1

In 16 months of being married, I have to say that Coach and I have done fairly well in not having many spats. But we have known each other for seven years and of course there are some issues that come up every once in awhile that makes one of us very... passionate... to put it nicely :) 

I have to laugh when I think about some of our past go-rounds; the issues really are quite petty in the grand scheme of things.  But at the time of the brawl, you'd think they were earth stopping issues.   It seems that no matter what "it" is that we are fighting about, it all boils down to selfishness.  A desire that either he or I are fighting within ourselves. Yes, I admit... I have selfish desires and *sometimes* believe that my way is the only way. 

Selfishness.  The opposite of love.  In a marriage, selfishness will pull you in the opposite direction of achieving oneness with each other.  I believe that a lot of society's problems can be summed up in that one little 11 letter word.  Murder? Usually a result of selfishness.  Adultery? Lust? Absolute selfishness.  Stealing? You guessed it.  Selfishness.  Lying?  Looking out for yourself. (In other words... selfishness)

Are you getting MY point yet?  (grin)

In striving to be unselfish, we must focus on love.  We all know the "Love" chapter of the Bible -- 1 Corinthians 13.  

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Here is the challenge:  Can you put your name in the spot where it says love in each verse?  Kacey is patient..... sigh... I'm already in trouble.  

No comments:

Post a Comment