Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Out of line



Forget Murphy's laws, I have started creating my own set of life laws that seem to only apply to me.

For example:

Kacey's law #927:  Every time the car needs an oil change, it "needs" something ELSE too. "Something else" is always much more expensive than an oil change.

Yep, it just proved itself true once again. And I even added a Rule 927B:"See Rule #927. Nine times out of ten, this will occur directly before or during a vacation."  Sigh.  Why couldn't I just get a small amount of the luck of the Irish from my mom's side of the family?

So, this time the "something else" was an alignment. The mechanic was trying to explain to me why I needed an alignment THAT day (at THAT shop).  He said "Ma'am (ya gotta love Southerners!) your car is really out of line.  It is wearing the tires out really fast and you are going to need new tires if you don't do this."    Ugh.

As I was waiting for them to align my car, I asked myself, if a car being out of alignment causes tires to wear out faster, "What happens when my LIFE isn't in line?

I can tell my car needs an alignment when it starts pulling to the side of the road and it takes more effort to control it and keep in on the straight path.  My life tends to be the same way.  I can tell that I'm off balance, or off track, when I get side-tracked from my vision and purpose.  I'm going full speed ahead, but I have put things on my path that cause me to veering off to the side of the road, trying to cover more ground, rather than just staying on MY path.

Every once in awhile, we as humans should be due for an "alignment check", a tune up, to make sure that the life we are living lines up with the life we wish and strive to live.  Do our words line up with our actions?  Do our actions line up with our values?  Does the way we spend our time line up with our priorities?  

If those things aren't lining up, we are veering off our path and wearing ourselves out!

1 comment:

  1. Can so relate... to car repairs and "life needing alignment check". Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete