Sunday, August 30, 2009

Welcome to the club

Friday night marked the official beginning of high school football with our first football game. Since there is only one school in the county, the games are quite a drive. The wife of the head coach called me last week and invited me to ride with her and some other ladies to the game...which was quite nice since it was a "few country miles away" as one of the ladies said. Note - I love South-isms and I'm actually starting to pick them up which is scary. Today I caught myself saying "I was fixing to tell ya something". I caught myself before it slipped out though and referred back to the Yank Speak (READ: I was going to tell you something very important but it slipped my mind. I will have to tell you later. )

Anyway, on Friday I realized that I am now a part of a new "club" - The Football Wives Club. I never saw this coming and I don't know why I didn't.. I think it crept up on me and I never thought about it. I wasn't with Russ during his first season as coach, so it didn't hit me and I just never thought about it. Until Friday. When I was younger I remember watching NFL games or races (yes, I watched NASCAR races) and seeing those cameras pan over to the wives when their husbands did something.... and I remember thinking I would never EVER want to be that woman on display. Well, we are on our way folks. In a smaller degree...but well on our way.

Some women probably think I'm crazy because those women get attention... money (which I assure you, we are FAR from that stage!).... and perks. What could be better than those three right? Haha.

Well, first, I was never one to enjoy attention. It seems like if the players do something they shouldn't have, everyone watches the coaches to make sure they do their job of scolding them. But when the coaches make a bad call, everyone looks to the wives to make sure they saw their husband's bad move. Here's the truth... I really don't care what he does out on that field... we all make mistakes and I'm sure you make plenty at work too, you just don't have hundreds or thousands of people watching you. Truth is.. I'll proudly stand beside him and support him whether we win every game or lose every game. I believe in him and his calling to attempt to instill integrity and sportsmanship in the next generation of athletes. So please don't think your look will change my mind about him. Hmmm, wonder if I can get a shirt that says all that? :)

Secondly, sure, being the wife has it's perks, but I'm not the type of person to enjoy perks... Should I get to park closer just because I married a man who spends months of his life coaching? Well, its nice, but it sure doesn't make up for the time that I don't have him at home. (There are days that Russ leaves so early in the morning and comes home so late, that the next day, I wonder if I even spoke to him the day before...or was he just a figment of my imagination? And I used too laugh when this guy at work talked about the good months to have a baby. I'm thinking we'll be planning too.... for a bye week delivery...or a spring baby. haha.) I know the perks are just to show appreciation, but the families and fans of the teams sacrifice their time and money to support the team too.


And lastly, you probably won't ever hear me complain about having extra money, because there is always someplace for it to go to. It's a shame that Sallie Mae isn't a charity because we sure give them a lot of money...and will continue to do so until 2025. There are always needs and when we don't have any, others do and we try to give back to them too. But I don't see money being one of the perks of coaching anytime soon!!!!

The upside of this club though is that I get to be a part of my husbands job. Its not like when he worked at the bank and I was a customer... I can now cheer him on from the sidelines. And I get to be a part of the community. And when he is gone from home, I get to do things that interest me... such as blogging :)

No comments:

Post a Comment