Thursday, January 14, 2010

WRASSLIN... with the Biggun


Okay, I have a confession to make.   If it wasn't obvious from my title, Southern-isms have started rubbing off on me. Every once in awhile, my dear husband will smile and look at me with this sparkle in his eye and say "Say that again"  and I know I've done it.  I've countrified a word. 

Anyway, tonight I was so happy to make a trip longer than my normal 1/4mile commute to work so I could listen to some new praise and worship music and just spend time with God.  As I made my drive out into the country and just started listening, this is what I heard...

God (the Biggun): "Kacey... dear Kacey... you like to wrestle don't you?"

Me: "What?  God, you know I don't have an ounce of athleticism.  And I sure don't like WWE.  But if you want me to go into wrestling... I guess I could figure it out"

God: "No, no dear child... I mean, you like to figuratively wrestle.  With ME"

Me: "WHAT?  No, no, you've got the wrong girl. I'm so easy going.  Whatever you say, I'm your go to girl Remember?  Right?  Come on.... REALLY?"
............
.........

 "Ummm, God?  Did you hear me? DID YOU HEAR WHAT I'M SAYING?!"

Needless to say, I've come to realize that I sure am wrestling with God. And I'm not talking thumb wrestling... or arm wrestling.  I'm talking full blown "rolling-around-on-the-floor-getting-cauliflower-ear" WRESTLING with God.   I've been like a two year old who wants a piece of candy when she is being offered the whole candy factory.  I don't always see the big picture.  I like to see what I want to see.  Don't we all?

I guess I've always been a proponent of letting God know how I feel... I think sometimes He is the only one who can handle my feelings.  But recently, I think I've been telling Him how HE should feel.  I've let MY dreams take precedence when I really know that HIS dreams are so much more amazing that anything I could ever imagine.

I don't want to be like Jacob and walk around with a limp the rest of my life for wrestling with God and getting my way.  God makes a much better partner than an opponent. So I'm going to get up off the mat and walk hand in hand with God in the direction He wants me to go in.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, what a great post Kacey! Don't we all seem to "wrassle" with God sometimes? We mean well, and we tell ourselves that He's the Referee and we're tanglin' with the enemy. Really? We really do wrassle with God sometimes. My wrestling name is "Red Amazon". (Don't believe me? check it out at: http://www.wrestlingname.com/diva/ ... you have one too!).

    I try really hard to keep God in the coaching spot where He belongs, but honestly sometimes I'm trying to pin Him to the mat... or feel like He's smackin' me down in a mean pin. Thanks for keeping it "real"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA, my wrestling name is Pretty Maid. My maiden wrestling name was Nasty Queen. I'd rather be a pretty maid than a nasty queen! Haha!

    Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who tries to pin God down!

    ReplyDelete