Monday, May 3, 2010

Afraid of the Dark

A few days ago a friend asked "Just when do kids outgrow being afraid of the dark?"  I laughed and said "Don't worry, it won't be too much longer."  But then I got to thinking....

I am STILL afraid of the dark.  No, I don't leave a nightlight on when I go to bed.  But I do have an overactive imagination when walking outside in the dark.  Either that or I've watched too many episodes of 48 Hour Mystery, Law and Order and Forensic Files.  I imagine people hiding behind bushes, trees, cars and houses and me having to use my mad ninja skills to scare them away.  I don't find a corner and cry in it when I'm in the dark, but I do come up with some pretty fascinating scenarios in my mind that bring out the goosebumps!

Truth is, I've always been afraid of some sort of darkness.  As it is with most small children, I didn't like to wake up in the middle of the night in pitch black dark.  Especially after a bad dream. We had to have a light in the hallway so I could find my way to safety.  As a teenager, I was afraid of this darkness called" the future". Trying to decide which college to go to, what to major in.  The way I saw it those were big, life-changing decisions. What if I chose the wrong school or the wrong major and messed God's whole plan up? I didn't know what I wanted to do and the rest of the world seemed to be able to see their way through the dark forest of the future.  To be honest, the future STILL scares me.  It's still dark in front of me.  I don't know what it holds.  It is unknown, unable to be seen and/or prepared for, and therefore, a little scary.  I know that God has a plan and it's all under His control, which helps me get sleep at night.  And He lights up enough of the path for me not to stumble.  I know it is best this way, but some days I just wish I could see the whole path.

Psalm 18:28-2

You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.With your help I can advance against a troop;with my God I can scale a wall.


Isaiah 42:16 - I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.



John 8:12- When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.


Having faith is taking steps even when you cannot see the whole staircase....I will continue to move so I do not become "paralyzed" by not going anywhere. These verses remind me that I don't walk in complete darkness -- even though some days it seems like I am stumbling around, feeling my way through and walking around in circles.  But I'm not -- I've got Jesus' light!  Thank you Jesus for being my "flashlight" in a world that continues to become darker everyday with sin!

1 comment:

  1. oooo... I love the flashlight analogy! Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:
    People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within. ~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

    Great post!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete