Monday, May 10, 2010

Reckless

I recently read a very sad story about this girl who was killed by a crocodile while vacationing on a beach off the coast of India.  Just four years ago, the same family lost their other daughter due to a tragic rock climbing accident.   One of the family members was interviewed for the article and was upset that there weren't any warnings of the crocodiles in the water.  The family member said that the girl would not have been out there if there were warnings because she was particularly careful and didn't take many risks after her sisters death.

I can relate.... there is very little in life that I have ever been reckless over. I usually think about the pros, cons and everything in between of every single decision. I usually make the "common sense" decision after weighing pros and cons, looking at it from every angle and dreaming up every what if scenario possible.  Sometimes, this is a good quality -- like when it comes to money or marriage.  You don't want to be reckless with either.  Another thing we don't want to be reckless with?  Words.

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" (Proverbs 12:18 NIV)

The tongue has the power to heal or to hurt.  Too often, people use their power to hurt rather than to heal.   I like to think I have pretty tough skin after being taught to toughen up from my dad, two uncles and brother.  It takes a lot to hurt my feelings... but people have done it.  And I'm sure I've done it.  I tend to be sarcastic a lot.  Some people get it and some people don't.  The ones that don't, I usually hurt their feelings unintentionally.  I've eased off the sarcasm a bit and try to keep my sarcasm at bay when I sense that people may get their feelings hurt.  Is it easy?  NO.  But I've got to do it.  I don't want to use my tongue as a sword... but rather a salve.

Okay, so obviously it's not always good to be reckless.  But sometimes I think it is beneficial to be reckless.  How about when Peter stepped right out of the boat on the lake and trusted that he was going to be able to walk to Jesus on the water.  I've tried to put myself in that situation many times.  I'm pretty sure I would have just sat there in amazement.  But you wouldn't have seen me getting out of that boat.  I might have thought about it.  But then I would've weighed the what ifs and kept myself right in that HAPPY, WARM, FLOATING boat!  Peter didn't even think about it.  He just did it. 

I think Peter was reckless in his faith.  That sounds like it could be bad... but I think it is something that more of us should probably be.  Instead of thinking "What if this person doesn't want to hear about Jesus?", we should just let that up to God to handle.  Instead of thinking "That person is mean and nasty and unreachable", we should reach out... and leave the rest to God.  Why?  Well because....  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:9.

So go forth... and be reckless :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Permission to be reckless! (grin) Great post!

    ReplyDelete