Sunday, September 12, 2010

Dealing with Discouragement

Have you ever been ready to "harvest" and the rain clouds come in and you don't get to do what you thought you could? 



We know the cliche statements of life:
Life is not fair.
Life is always full of surprises.
Life does not always go as planned.

But how do you deal with life when you come face to face with one of these realities? Discouragement WILL come to all of us.  So how can we deal with it?

1.  Get the frustration out.  After a particularly stressful and discouraging few days, I was done with everyone and everything.  So I came home and screamed into a pillow.  Yes, for real.  I had a mini temper tantrum.  I knew that the stress, tension and aggravation couldn't build up in me any longer.  So I "got it out".  And... I got honest.  I asked God one hundred questions and spilled my guts.  God wasn't left wondering how I REALLY felt.  I'm pretty sure I spelled it out from A to Z. 



2.  Turn to your support system.  Your family and your friends accept you as you are and they usually want to help.  But you have to let them.  They can't read your mind and know what you are thinking or feeling. (Although, I have to say, my mom has an uncanny ability to know when something isn't right with me.  She just doesn't know WHAT it is.  So she nags me until I tell her.  She's good at that too.)  When Coach got home, I grumbled to him and I pretty much let him know how I felt too.  He switched into "Coach" mode and told me that it's not about the wins, it is about how hard we play on the field.  God has not called us to be successful, but to be FAITHFUL.  (I love when God sends me reassurance and love through my tall, handsome, blonde-haired,  blue-eyed man!)

3.  Get an attitude adjustment. (This usually happens during #3 by a member of the support system.)  My mom used to have a device called an "attitude adjuster" that looked a lot like a wooden spoon. Thankfully, I've outgrown those and it just takes a verbal lashing to get me back on the right page now.  After our pep talk, Coach reminded me of who I am and that my attitude was not reflecting that,  So, I had to do a little re-adjustment.  "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." (Phil. 4:8)

4. Take a hot bath. Find some chocolate.  (Hey, it never hurts right?) Seriously though, you have to take care of yourself and take some time to rest, reflect, relax and rejuvenate, so you are ready for the next step.


5. Get back up.  I was ready to throw the towel in on about 5 of my jobs in life. But after I calmed down and was "set straight" and remembered the promise of Romans 8:28 that "ALL things work together for the good of those who love Him."  Even the discouraging things.  There is a purpose and a reason for everything  I may never know how it all works together for the good, but if I don't keep working, the good may never even happen.  And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. (Galatians 6:9)

1 comment:

  1. Galatians 6:9. Just what my soul needed tonight. So glad I stopped by. Had a "discouraged" kind of weekend. These reminders were really timely for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete