Monday, September 20, 2010

Snakes and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

Twenty-four years ago today, my life was forever changed.  I was no longer the lone princess.  Erm, well OKAY, I was still that.  I was no longer the lone "star". My parents introduced me to my little, yet chubby, brother.  Our Khris....not Christopher, just plain old Khris.

Seeing that we are only 18 months apart, it is hard to believe that I can remember him coming home, but I do.  I remember it quite vividly.  I had my own, LIVE baby doll and it was the coolest thing ever.  Everyone wanted pictures of him, so I turned on the cute factor and got in there with my brother and cheesed it up.  It was captured that I liked him.  Or at least I pretended to.

Over the years we fought about who had more space on the couch, who got the bigger piece of cake, who got to sit in the front seat.  Or best of all, who had to got to sit in the middle of Dad's little pickup truck.  HAHA.  I still can't believe how many times I made my much bigger "little" brother squeeze in the middle.

Together, we figured out how to beat Nintendo games and how to REALLY irritate Mom.  We figured out that we could get our way if we BOTH asked.  There is power in numbers you know.

We figured out that Mom and Dad were smarter than we thought and figured out our schemes.  I figured out how to blame everything on my brother.  Even cutting my Barbie's hair.  I'm pretty sure he did it.  But he has denied it for 20 years now and he really has me wondering if I did just blame him.  hahahaha.

We played in sandboxes together and built sandcastles.  We made tents out of blankets and igloos out of snow.  We imagined and laughed and giggled until we couldn't anymore.

We fought over who got control of the remote on Saturday mornings when cartoons were worth watching.  We fought over who did what chores because we didn't want to do any.  Actually, at one point we used to get mad if the other one got to clean the kitchen sink or mop at Grandma's because that was a privilege. 

We ran each other over with bikes and slammed our faces into walls.  And some of us have dropped axes on our toes :P  Yes, these are true stories and there are scars to prove them.

We've lived together. We've loved together. We've cried together.  We've laughed together.  We've cheered each other on.  We've blessed each other out.

Twenty four years ago, I might not have been too sure about him.  But, he sure has grown on me.  I wouldn't trade him for a hundred and a thousand dollars ;)  I LOVE YOU KHRIS ANDREW!  I'm so proud of the man you are becoming! HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPY BIRFDAY!

4 comments:

  1. You made me cry at work. Happy Birthday Khris! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I knew that you two were up to something all of those years!! Now you admit it?

    ReplyDelete