Sunday, August 8, 2010

Adventures on the Road with Kacey

I spend most of my days in a small little office with a little window.  This week however, my car has turned into my office and I feel as though I have traveled the world.  I love time in the car because it gives me a lot of time without the computer and televison to distract me.  I call friends and relatives and catch up and have time to do some reflection on my own thoughts.  And see a lot of things I would never see in my little office.

Like the Oscar Mayer Weiner Mobile.  Be jealous.  Be very jealous.  I saw the famous dog driving up Interstate 95 on Wednesday morning and almost wrecked my car.

Or.... an armadillo.  Yep, saw one of those too. Right here in South Carolina.  Not in Texas.  Unfortunately this little critter had met it's fate on the side of the road.  But again, I almost wrecked the car checking it out.  (You know your town has nothing going on when a DEAD armadillo gets you excited.)   As I rounded the next corner, I saw another poor critter who had met it's fate.  This one had ordered the Waffle House special... scattered and splattered... so I couldn't really identify it.  But the vultures could.  It was food!  There were about four of them standing in the middle of the road feasting away.

They didn't seem to care that Karissa the Corolla was heading towards them doing about 50mph.  I blew the horn and they didn't even look up.  Just kept feasting away.  At the last second, they hopped to the side of the road.  On my way back through, they were back in the road again and another car was coming the other way.  They didn't get out of the way for that one and the car had to stop until I passed and then pass on the other side of the road.

Where am I going with all this?  Well...no where regarding the Oscar Mayer Wiener Mobile or the armadillo.  But now you know I am easily entertained.  But I do have a point with the vultures.  Their diet of dead animals repulses me.  As I drove down the road, I begin to think of another thing that I find repulsive... sin.

2 Corinthians 5:17 says "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 

Romans 6:1-2 says "What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?"

Hmmmmmm, but how many times do we hang on to the old?  How many of us continue to live in sin?  We hop off the path of sin and onto the right path, but then we think "Well, it won't hurt to go take a little nibble of the old".  But we forget the dangers of the old path.  And soon we find ourselves in the middle of a road feasting on the sin unaware that a car is heading straight for us.  Or maybe we find the sin so good that we take it back and share it with our friends and soon enough, we find that we are all in danger.  We have made others stumble and slow down on their path. 

Just like the vultures.  They would stand in the middle of the road feasting on death until they were forced to move.  They'd hop to the side of the road, wait for the danger to pass, grab a friend and go right back.  They caused cars to swerve or stop.  But they were unaware because they were so consumed with well, consuming. 

It's easy to say you aren't feasting on death.  But seriously, think about the long list of humanly ways.  Are you feasting on gossip, a bad attitude, jealousy, animosity, an unforgiving spirit and putting yourself or others in danger?  Leave that stuff on the road!

Hebrews 12:1 "...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us"

No comments:

Post a Comment