Friday, August 20, 2010

Put on a Happy Face

Back around Easter time, I decided to start a "Good Deed of the Day" quest in an attempt to make the world a little happier... one person and one day at a time.

After arriving back in the South, I quickly came to the realization that I don't come in contact with enough people everyday to do something nice everyday.  But I still make an attempt.

For instance, when I go to the grocery store, I try to always ask the cashier how he/she is doing... and genuinely mean and listen to their answer.  Tonight I had to run to the IGA, which we actually call the GGS (Ghetto Grocery Store).  It's right around the corner, so it is very convenient, but it's one of those stores where you have to check the dates on the stuff you buy because it could be from 2002.  I always seem to end up in this one young man's line.


This man reminds me of one of my favorite childhood stories:

Seriously... every time I ask this kid how he is, I get one of the following answers:
Not Good
Terrible
Could be better
I'm having the worst day of my life

AND, he always explains why life is "terrible" (i.e., he hurt his thumb, it's raining, it's hot, etc)

I try to encourage him and remind him things could be a lot worse, but he just doesn't get my good vibe.  Sigh.  Next time I'm taking him a roll of these stickers.  Maybe that will remind him to smile and enjoy life a little more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment