Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Food for Thought

Have you ever done something or eaten something and thought "Who thought of this?" I do it all the time.

I will occassionally watch Unwrapped on the Food Network where Marc Summers (yes, the host from Double Dare!) goes around and tells us how certain foods are made. I never realized how many cool machines there are out there. But I realized this weekend why they invent machines like that... because there are certain repetitive tasks that you realize "there's got to be an easier way to do this" I just wish I could invent one of those "make your life easier" machines... maybe it'd help my finances!

Anyway, this weekend at my grandmothers, my uncles heated up some maple syrup sugary mess... and then poured it into a freezing pan to cool it off and instructed me to pull it into taffy. Hmm, I thought that stuff only happened at the beach. I was in the mountains... with nothing else to do.... so I watched them and it intrigued me, so I thought I'd try. Two days later, my fingers are still aching. Now, don't get me wrong, I like taffy... but after an hour of standing over the stove, preparing the cold pan and then spending 15 minutes pulling each tiny peice..... uhhh, not sure if it's worth all of that. It's no wonder that someone made a machine to pull the stuff.

Haha, or if you've ever wondered where utensils came from... try eating with chopsticks, or go to one of those Medieval Times theatres. Someone else had some tired fingers :)

Strange food combinations always make me wonder too... who ever thought to put those things together? Today, Russ tells me that he ate a peanut butter and egg sandwich... as in fried eggs (not that any other kind of egg would sound good either)....... I think he's gone absolutely crazy.... or maybe he was just really starving. He says it was delicious. Not sure I'll be trying that one. A lady at work said they had never seen anyone eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich before they saw me eat one... I thought that was pretty normal. Wait until I tell her about peanut butter and egg. Actually, I remember a long time ago when my mom had me try peanut butter and pickle sandwiches... it actually wasn't bad.... maybe the egg wouldn't be all that terrible. And Russ' mom eats Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise sandwiches... not sure about that one either.

Some other crazy food stuff I've seen or heard of... that are legal... and found in America:
Pickled Eggs... yummy, but really, who thought of that one?
Hamburger and Eggs... I might try this before PB and eggs
Waffles and Fried Chicken
Hot Dogs topped with coleslaw... I had never seen this until I moved South
Salt on Bananas, Canteloupe or Watermelon
Cheese and Jelly Sandwiches - Guy Fieri did a show on this one time... apparently it's not bad, but it still is strange to me. But, I guess people eat grapes and cheese? Why not add bread.
Coffee and Salt
Chocolate in Chili... tried this one... it's a winner. Make sure its dark, unsweetened
Strawberries and Balsamic Vinegar... this is another one of my favorites. I was mad at Russ one night for ruining strawberries with vinegar... little did I know just how good it was!
Cottage Cheese and Apple Butter
Beets and Bleu Cheese


Anyway, that is my crazy and random thought for the day... off to eat my stuffed peppers. Who ever thought of stuffing peppers? I'll have to thank them :) And I'll go ahead and thank Pillsbury for inventing cookie dough in a 5 pound bucket ready to eat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment