Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Registry Schmedistry

Ahhh, the wonderful world of wedding registries. I gotta be honest... I hate them, but I really hate them when I'm the one creating it. When I'm shopping for someone, it's not so bad, but I still feel like the gift is really impersonal... or silly. My parents could always say, so-and-so gave that to us for our wedding. That's the kind of gift I want to give... not something that you forget where it even came from. When people put measuring cups....cheese graters... spatulas.. on their registries... well, yeah, its practical... but how many people look at their cheese grater and say, "I'm so glad that dear old Aunt Edna thought to buy me a cheese grater for my wedding!"

Now don't get me wrong, we've put a cheese grater... and even some cool measuring cups on our registry.... and I will be happy if someone buys them for us, but it still makes me laugh.

I guess maybe I'm old school and I feel like a registry is a little selfish. I felt selfish when I put stuff on our registry. It's like asking Santa Clause for the Christmas Barbie, a new pink bike and a dollhouse all in the same year. Plus, the coolest gifts were usually the ones that Santa thought of himself... not the ones I told him to buy. I think a gift should come from the heart of the person buying it... I guess thats my big problem.

Anyway, enough about our stinking registries. They are finished and I hope to never have to look at the Bed Bath and Beyond site again! (I did however learn a lot about the quality of different china, towels, flatware, knives........exciting stuff let me tell you)

No comments:

Post a Comment